Wednesday, February 12, 2014

There's Something About Snora

Today I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed, trying not to do all of the work on my plate and distract myself from the dreary weather outside, when something caught my eye. It was a video one of my residents had posted the night before. She could not sleep, and so she decided to post a video of what she felt God had put on her heart. The video was of a spoken word she was in the process of writing.

As I watched the video I began to think back on my previous year, and something came to my mind. An unfiltered thought that may or may not be true. Most of the female students I have come to know on campus who have done the most creative and inspiring things have come from Snora, or another dorm like it on the ped mall. 

It seems to me like these students have an idea or feel inspired by God, and then almost immediately act on it with a passion that I just did not feel or witness in my old dorm. My old dorm was great, and there were many students their who had wonderful ideas and did great things. But it was rare that I saw someone acting on those ideas. The students usually came up with an excuse or they were too busy.

It hit me. There's something about Snora. 

There's something about this group of mostly Freshmen girls (that's sounds like an oxymoron) who have come together in a building that feels like it's falling apart at its seams, and decided to make something great. There is a sense of inspiration within this building that only comes from being forced to live in such close quarters, and walk, practically, naked down the long halls as people pass by. There's a passion, and excitement found within these new students that I rarely find in students who have reached the end of their collegiate career. A passion that inspires to not only think more creatively, but to act on those thoughts. To think of a great idea, and put it to work, not caring about whether the product will be fantastic or even accepted positively. Because I am beginning to realize that it is less about how it is received, and more about putting yourself out there. It is more about taking the risk to do something that you really want to do and feel passionate about, and less about the outcome. 

People all over campus talk badly about this dorm in which I live in. I used to be one of those people. And for that I want to apologize. Specifically, if you are reading this, Rebekah, I want to apologize to you for talking bad about Nora when you lived here. My ignorance took hold of me, and blinded my eyes from being able to see the beauty within this building. Yes. Some of the things people say are true. The building creeks and sinks with every step you take. The walls are paper thin, making every conversation perfectly clear, three rooms down. Rancid odors lurk through the hallways, catching you when you least expect it. The bathrooms are, at times, unsightly. The showers flood, and constantly make you fear for your life every time to take the sharp razor anywhere near your leg, wondering how many times you will slip up this time. The rooms come in all shapes and sizes. You may luck out and hit the mansion room on third floor south, or you may end up with the closet. But despite all of this, there is nothing in this world like the community you experience. 

The community hits sharply at first. Especially when you are studying, but everyone else on your hall is singing some classic song on the highest level their lungs will allow. But eventually, when you allow yourself to sit back and look closely, you see one of the most beautiful things you will ever encounter. A group of people, just like you. Not knowing where the next day will take them. Not knowing how they survived the last finals week, or the next; sometimes blacking out an entire month's work of work because it is the only way they know how to stay sane. People suffering just as you suffer. And yet they are putting forth their greatest efforts to make something out of nothing. To give hope where it sometimes seems all hope is lost. To not only see that hand that is flailing desperately over the ledge looking for anything to help pull them back up, but reaching down, grabbing that hand, and pulling the person back onto their feet. These are the kinds of girls I live in community with everyday. The kind  that genuinely care. The kind that intentionally build relationships. The kind that knows it is awkward at times, but are completely willing to bath in that awkwardness. The kind that pray together when the tragedy strikes. The kind that laugh together when things are great. The kind that rejoices together, and mourns together. The kind that sees this world we live in, a world lost in the despair, and speaks life, truth, happiness, and hope. I would not trade this for anything. 

There's something about Snora, and that is something I want to be apart of.

No comments:

Post a Comment