Friday, October 21, 2011

Is it Better to Wait Around than to go Right to God?

Matthew 20:13-16 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”  

When I first read this I grew angry. I thought that it meant those who come to God first will receive less than those who come to God last. I thought, "Does this mean it's better to wait around than go right to God?" Is it better to wait to find God later in life? Then I realized that's not what it's saying at all. It's saying that whether you come in old age or young, all who come will receive God's gifts and eternal life. It's never too late to come.  

And to those who followed God from a young age, don't grow frustrated because someone who has just come to God receives not less, but just as much as, you. Instead, rejoice for yet another soul has found their savior, and another soul can join you in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment