Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Don't Forget Where You Came From

Today while watching the “The Sing Off” on TV my Dad made a remark that was mocking how I reacted to something on the television. Out of anger I said something that I would usually say to some of my guy friends, when they anger me, about harming them in a way specific to their gender, thinking that it would be funny. Something I now realize I should not even be saying, especially not to my own father. My father corrected me, and though he never laid a hand on me I felt like I was being slapped in the face. It was just one of those moments when something really small kicks you into gear. I could just feel my heart sink.

My father is someone that I look up to, and keep very dear to myself. I hate disappointing him. So it is perfect that he is the one who put me in my place.

This is a message that has a few motives behind it. In the beginning I wanted to try and convince everyone to keep their social life with friends, and how they talk, not the same as how they interact with their parents. Then I realized that that is not at all what I want. I want to try and convince everyone that you should treat your parents well, but you should also treat everyone well. I know it is cheesy. It is what you have heard your entire life. Act as if your parents were there. Honestly though. There is a phrase that if you are always honest there will be less for you to remember. I believe the same goes for when you watch how you act.

Some people are really good at covering for themselves. Some people are really good at keeping how they talk to their friends different from how they talk to their family. However, everyone knows that even the best cannot always keep things from slipping. Even the best of the best with covering their ways have slipped a curse word or two in front of their parents. Your lies and cheats always come around to get you. I say relieve yourself of all those pressures and worries, and just act towards your friends the way you would your family. I am not saying you cannot joke around with your family. I am just saying do not say things to your friends that you would not want your parents to hear.

This also got me thinking about how you should never forget to appreciate those who care for you, especially your parents. In the same way that an artist or actor never forgets the streets they grew up on, you should never forget the one or two people who were always there with you on your lives journey. Just as you should forever be grateful to your creator, the Lord. You should be grateful to the people he placed you on earth with.

All in all respect your parents, and never forget the great aspect of your life that they are. Watch what you say, around both your friends and family. Do not ever forget the place that you came from. It raised you. No matter how difficult or beat down it was it made you into the person you are today. Never forget it. Never forget the person who put you there, God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment